Nikita (“Niki”) Bhargava is an Associate at RPJ, practicing in the areas of entertainment, intellectual property and employment. Ms. Bhargava worked as a Paralegal and Communications Assistant with the firm while she was in law school, supporting those practices, as well as the firm’s marketing, social media and legal research and writing.
As an Associate, Ms. Bhargava’s practice focuses on legal issues that arise in the fields of television, film and digital media production; lifestyle, personal product and personal service industries; and corporate intellectual property.
During law school and in conjunction with her work at RPJ, Ms. Bhargava interned with the Financial Fraud and Consumer Protection Division of the New York State Department of Financial Services. She also worked as an Intellectual Property Intern for Coach, Inc., supporting the Coach and Stuart Weitzman brands. Prior to law school, Ms. Bhargava was an Analyst in Fixed Income Operations at Morgan Stanley.
Ms. Bhargava is admitted to practice in New York and New Jersey.
Ms. Bhargava earned her undergraduate degree from Smith College (B.A., 2014) and her law degree from New York Law School (J.D., 2016). She graduated in the Inaugural Class of the School’s Two-Year Honors J.D. Program, a full-time, accelerated program where she completed the traditional 86-credit, three-year curriculum in 24 months. Ms. Bhargava was selected by NYLS faculty to be an Associate Innovation Fellow for the Innovation Center for Law and Technology, the School’s academic center focused on developments in intellectual property law in the digital age, and elected by her peers to be the Honors Section Senator for the NYLS Student Bar Association. She also worked as a Research Assistant for Professor Ruti Teitel, whose writings and research focus on international human rights and transitional justice.
Additionally, Ms. Bhargava hosted a weekly radio program on WOZQ, Smith’s female-run radio station, and contributed as a Staff Writer in the Arts and News departments for the College newspaper, The Sophian. Ms. Bhargava also interned with the International Justice Project, a non-profit organization dedicated to protecting human rights by advancing the rule of law worldwide, as well as the literary agency McIntosh and Otis in the Adult Fiction department.
While at Smith College, Ms. Bhargava was heavily involved in student leadership. She was elected Chair of the House Presidents’ Association, House President of Cushing House, Head of New Students and President of the Smith Spirit Cheerleading Team.
Ms. Bhargava frequently speaks on panels about the transition between academic and professional life and her experience practicing in employment and entertainment law. Additionally, she is a Contributor to HobokenGirl.com, writing legal and policy-related articles pertaining to New Jersey developments.
Noted Speaking Engagements
- “Hiring Laws for Independent Film Productions,” Panel Speaker, Co-hosted by the Video Consortium and the Brooklyn Film Festival Exchange – December 11, 2018
- Session Speaker for Mentorship Program Speaker Series, The Creative Coalition – July 23, 2018
- “Careers in English: An Alumnae Panel,” Panel Speaker, Smith College English Department – February 13, 2018
Selected Articles & Publications
- “The Best TV Shows About Lawyers, Ranked by Real Lawyers,” by Désiree O. featuring quotes from Ms. Bhargava, Adweek – July 12, 2018
- “The GDPR and Changes to Online Data Collection,” RPJ Blog – May 25, 2018
- “Alumnae in Business” Interview, Smith College Business Network – January 31, 2018
- “New York Passes ‘Freelance Isn’t Free Act’,” co-authored with RPJ Associate Allison “Ally” M. Grein, RPJ Blog – November 10, 2016