Nafsika Karavida is an Associate of the firm. She advises clients in employment, intellectual property, corporate and transactional, and cross-border commercial law. Her areas of practice include representing clients in pre-trial negotiations and mediations, formation and dissolution of various forms of partnerships and corporations, as well as intellectual property disputes. Ms. Karavida also counsels clients on issues relating to public access of records produced by federal, state and local governments, representing public and private companies, non-profit organizations and individuals.
Prior to joining RPJ, Ms. Karavida was an Associate with Hogan Lovells LLP in Europe where she practiced international antitrust and competition law, including merger regulation, international commercial contract law and European state aid law. Ms. Karavida has also been seconded as in-house counsel at Maersk Line in Copenhagen, Denmark, and worked as an anti-corruption investigator and manager with Ernst & Young. After earning her law degree in Sweden, Ms. Karavida clerked for a judge at a district court in Sweden, and was a lecturer at Stockholm University on EU Internal Markets.
Ms. Karavida is admitted to practice in Connecticut and New York, as well as in the European Union and Sweden, and before the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
Ms. Karavida holds three law degrees from two continents. She graduated from Uppsala University in Law (Honors, 2009), received an LLM in European and International Law from College of Europe in Bruges, Belgium (2012), and earned her LLM degree in American and International Law from New York University School of Law (2019).
Services & Honors
Ms. Karavida’s pro bono work has included representing Doctors Without Borders in contract negotiations and participating in an aid project for Syrian refugees displaced in Lebanon, where she raised, funded and distributed aid directly to the refugees.
Selected Engagements & Publications
Selected Articles & Publications
- “The Latest from the White House – An Executive Order in Support of Increased Domestic Production of Federally Funded Inventions” RPJ- August 31, 2023
- “Supreme Court Rules in Favor of Jack Daniel’s in Trademark Case – Defendant Put in the Dog House Over Parody Dog Toy” RPJ – July 20, 2023
- “The End of an Era – The USPTO Goes Paperless – Almost,” RPJ – May 4, 2023
- “U.S. Copyright Office Steps Into the Future (Albeit Slowly) With Its Strategic Plan for 2022-2026,” RPJ – April 19, 2022
- “How to Close the Diversity Gap in Patent Law,” RPJ, with RPJ Counsel Dara Onofrio – April 30, 2021
- “Patent Rights and Wrongs in the COVID-19 Pandemic: EU and U.S. Approaches to Compulsory Licensing,” IPWatchdog.com, with RPJ Counsel Dara Onofrio and Partner Deena R. Merlen – May 19, 2020
- “Sommarvistelse ledde till byråjobb i New York,” Interview with Swedish Bar Association magazine, Advokaten – February 2020 Issue
Noted Speaking Engagements
- “The EU Internal Market,” Lecturer, Stockholm University – March 2017