Ethan Krasnoo is Counsel at the firm. He practices in the areas of complex commercial litigation, arbitration, mediation and dispute resolution, and employment, intellectual property, and entertainment and media. In addition to representing individual clients, he has represented publicly traded and privately held companies, including prominent fashion conglomerates, music publishers, performing arts organizations, insurance companies, hedge funds, asset managers, pharmaceutical companies, nonprofit organizations, law firms and consumer goods companies. His areas of litigation and other dispute resolution have included breach of contract, employment discrimination, sexual harassment, insurance and securities fraud, antitrust, personal injury, First Amendment, malpractice, False Claims Act and other whistleblowing laws, trade secret, false advertising, trademark infringement and dilution, copyright infringement and rate-setting and royalty disputes. He has also advised entertainment and media professionals and nonprofits on transactional and employment matters, including negotiations and terminations, and in protecting and expanding their intellectual property assets, and has advised clients across a spectrum of industries on data security.
Prior to joining RPJ, Mr. Krasnoo was an Associate at Patterson Belknap Webb & Tyler LLP and Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP. He also served as Judicial Intern for The Honorable Rosemary M. Collyer of the United States District Court, District of Columbia. Before working in law, he acted professionally Off-Broadway, in theaters across the country and in film and television.
Mr. Krasnoo was selected to Super Lawyers for the New York Metro area in 2018 and is admitted to practice in New York, the United States District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York, the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit and United States Tax Court.
Mr. Krasnoo received his B.A. from Tufts University (magna cum laude, 1997) and his J.D. from Georgetown University Law Center (2007), where he served as Annual Review Section Editor of the Georgetown Journal of Gender and the Law and as Co-President of the Sports and Entertainment Law Society.
Mr. Krasnoo has provided pro bono counsel to LGBT asylum seekers, prisoners and struggling artists and has volunteered with The Trevor Project. He is a recent appointee to the New York City Bar Association Entertainment Law Committee, and was selected as one of Super Lawyers’ 2017 New York Metro Rising Stars. He was previously a member of the Trademark and Unfair Competition Committee of the New York City Bar Association and is a frequent speaker on trademark and copyright matters.
Mr. Krasnoo frequently speaks and writes on employment, entertainment and intellectual property matters. With the initiation of new 2019 legal requirements for sexual harassment prevention training, Mr. Krasnoo also counsels and trains company management and employees on sexual harassment prevention designed to fulfill the 2019 requirements under the laws of New York State, New York City, Connecticut and California.
Selected Articles & Publications
- “December 2018 New York Entertainment and Media Legal Highlights Concerning Reposting Instagram Photographs, Reselling of MP3s, and Defamation Claims Based on Movie Characters,” RPJ – December 28, 2018
- “Defamation Continues to Take Center Stage in the #MeToo Narrative,” RPJ – October 23, 2018
- “Exploring the Role of Defamation in the #MeToo Narrative,” RPJ – September 21, 2018
- “The Supreme Court’s Ruling Pitting Gay Rights Against Religious Freedom,” RPJ – June 5, 2018
- “Blurred Lines: Is Copying a Song’s Musical Style Enough to Warrant Copyright Infringement?” RPJ – April 4, 2018
- “New Pro Bono Sexual Harassment Mediation Program for Artists,” RPJ – January 22, 2018
- Named New York Metro Super Lawyers 2017 Rising Star, Super Lawyers, New York Metro 2017 Edition – October 2017
- “Thoughts on New California Law to Prevent Age Discrimination in Casting Actors,” RPJ – November 7, 2016
- “Insights on Massachusetts Landmark Equal Pay Legislation,” RPJ – August 24, 2016
- “Will the Ninth Circuit’s Salsoul Copyright Ruling Bring Music Sampling in Vogue?” LinkedIn Article – June 17, 2016
Noted Speaking Engagements
- “#MeToo Year Two in the Entertainment Industry,” Lecturer, New York City Bar Association Entertainment Committee – March 12, 2019